A Travellerspoint blog

Day 7 (Night)

Alone in Bangkok

sunny 30 °C

I walked back to the hotel, I felt anxious yet the adventure seemed as if it had just started. Noemi had just left. I was alone but started instantly to push myself to make it happen.

The square outside the hotel is extremely quiet and relaxing. Even though there is a constant coming and going of backpackers and tourists from the hotel, the restaurants which surround the beautiful exotic square make it a fine balance. As I approached the hotel, on my return, I was greeted by a nice nepalese gentleman sporting elegent clothing, smart polished black shoes, cream
coloured pants and a black shirt loose at the top. I had a feeling he wanted to sell me something. I wasn't far off but he seemed different from the rest of the 'come into my shop type'. We talked, even though I knew he wanted me in his shop, however, it felt like he genuinely wanted to chat, so we established rapport instantly. After 5 minutes talking, I agreed I would see what he had to offer.

"I'm just coming in for a look", I insisted.

As I walked into the small tailor shop, I was introduced by Chris, the marketeer, to his brother Mr
Lucky. He looked even smarter than his brother, he was cool, calm and naturally intelligent. He knew what would work for me.

I like clothes, I like smart clothes which catch the eye yet being subtle with the colours and design. Mr Lucky ended up making me a happy man. He sold me part of the dream. Yes, it was two shirts, but he sold me two outstanding designs.

"Do want Toyota my friend, or do you prefer Mercedes?"

He was referring to the make of the dresswear. When I buy a car, I'll be going for a Mercedes.

"Mercedes", I replied instantly, the kind of reply he wanted to hear.

After attempting to negotiate a little, I got nowhere. He was good. Better than the assistant at el corte ingl├ęs. He did throw in a silk tie to make me feel good about the deal. Well, for 1,800 bhat, I got a small part of the dream. I felt good, he was happy and we both knew it. I bet he sells alot but it was a good experience for us all I guess.

He wanted payment instantly which I paid with a bit of hesitation, as who knows, this is Bangkok, right? Could it be a scam?

So, everytime I pass the shop, I naturally pop in to say hello. I pick up my shirts in the next few days, as they are measured to fit.

Upon retiring to me room at around 9.30, I hit the sack and woke up almost 13 hours later. I didn't mention I was tired before, did I? Well, I was shattered, having slept only around 8 hours in three days. I was more tired than I was on the day of the flight. At last I slept a much needed kip.


Posted by GaryWeir 09:57 Archived in Thailand Tagged living_abroad

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint